Twitter

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year - I Love College Football!

I don't know about you, but my holiday break is over and that means I am back to the grind of everyday life. So as I sit here at work, where I like to blog (I know, I should be working...It happens), I have realized something. I, Bronco Chase, have not posted many fruitful or enlightening nuggets for you my faithful readers for a few weeks. For that I apologize and promise to do better. As a token of my remorse I offer you this; a smorgasbord of stories, information, comedy, and heartbreak all combined into one amazing post. I hope you enjoy it and I hope even more that you can find it in your heart to forgive a wretch like me. I am aware that there are still bowl games to watch. However, the 7 match ups that are left happen to be spread out across 8 days. That means there is time to kill and that there are posts to add on this blog. Sit back and read...



The coaching carousel has begun, just as it does every year around this time. It does seem that things have been even crazier than normal. It must be the impending doom of humanity via Nostradamus and that dang Mayan calender. It's driving people nuts. Here is what we know so far:

-Florida ripped Will Muschamp from the grasps of Texas' defense and the baffling title of "coach-in-waiting." I think he will be great for the Gators. Muschamp is a fiery individual and that will bode well in Florida. Plus, he is actually from Gainesville. Along with that, he has somehow pried Charlie Weiss from the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs as his offensive coordinator. It's an all star cast down there.

Tell us how you really feel Mr. Muschamp


-Pitt had hired themselves a pretty good, emerging head man in Mike Haywood. He had resurrected a terrible Miami (OH) team from 1-11 to 9-4 and had earned a MAC Championship to show for it. Too bad he was arrested and charged with felony domestic abuse shortly after landing what many would consider a dream job. He was subsequently fired before he even had a chance to do much of anything. All this took place in a period of about 3 weeks. Nice work, Mr. Haywood. On the bright side, he left the Panthers with an undefeated record.

I know Mike, tell me about it!


-Maryland was on the cusp of hiring the pirate-crazy and eccentric former Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach. Apparently they got cold feet last minute and went a different direction. They jacked Randy Edsall from UConn less than 24 hours after the Huskies were embarrassed by Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Congrats Terrapins. I guess Maryland is a better job than Connecticut...

This man scares me


-Miami hired Al Golden from Temple. That is a good hire as well.

-Michigan will most likely fire Rich Rodriguez after another mediocre season and a blow out loss in a bowl game.

It could be worse, I guess...


-West Virginia's Bill Stewart retired. I imagine Rich Rod wishes he had never left the comfy confines of Morgantown to navigate the choppy waters of Ann Arbor.

-Stanford's Jim Harbaugh is the hottest coach in the nation. Everybody wants him, including the San Francisco 49ers. His alma mater Michigan is waiting until after the Orange Bowl to try and pry him away from the Cardinal. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

-Everybody wants Coach Pete from Boise State as well. I don't see it happening. At least not yet.



The Big 10 had a terrible New Year's Day. 5 teams from that vaunted, glorious conference all lost their bowl games, some in amazing blow out fashion. Here's the breakdown:

TCU 21, Wisconsin 19 (Rose Bowl)
Texas Tech 45, Northwestern 38 (TicketCity Bowl)
Alabama 49, Michigan State 7 (Capital One Bowl)
Florida 37, Penn State 24 (Outback Bowl)
Mississippi State 52, Michigan 14 (Progressive Gator Bowl)

That is a huge blow to the reputation of the Big 10. Also, Ohio State's Gordon Gee and his "Little Sisters of the Poor" comment are now eating copious amounts of crow. How does that taste?!

Should this man really be talking about football?




Congratulations to TCU for their Rose Bowl victory over the Wisconsin Badgers. This is huge for them and for all non-AQ schools. It was a great game, hard fought, and the Horned Frogs were the better team. They play great defense. They deserve to be in a BCS conference. Boise State, you are next (I hope)!

Nice work Gary Patterson. Even the Gatorade is purple!




UConn may be the worst team to ever participate in a BCS Bowl Game. Maybe not quite the worst, but they are pretty high up there. Here is my list of the worst teams to ever defile a respected and important(?) BCS Game.

3. UConn Huskies, 2011
2. Hawai'i Rainbow Warriors, 2008
1. Pitt Panthers, 2006

I see two teams from the Big East on the list. I'm sensing a problem with that conference. TCU will own them.






That is all I have for now. I understand that it was bit choppy, but I had a lot of things to cover and get out of the way. Tomorrow will be more detail orientated and informative. Make sure you watch the Orange Bowl tonight. It will be a good one. I am personally cheering for the Hokies. Although, I don't like their chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment