Twitter

Monday, December 13, 2010

'Twas Three Nights Before Christmas

'Twas three nights before Christmas, we're yelling, no shame,
blue and orange clad friends sat watching the game.
The Broncos were playing the Utes at Sam Boyd
But "playing" means the Utes are getting destroyed.
Despite the late start no children are in bed
with visions of Kellen "scrambling" in their head.
And mamma in her most favorite BSU shirt
Just finished saying how much a loss would hurt.

When out on the grass there arose such a clatter.
I sprang from my snuggie to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like Titus Young,
Tore down the blinds from the window where they hung.
The moon reflected on my new Bronco flag,
Like Avery, dodging defenders that lag.
What do my wondering eyes suddenly meet
It's Doug, Pettis, Kellen, Titus, and Coach Pete!

With a little old driver, lively, with wits
I knew in a moment it must be Lyle Smith.
More rapid than eagles on blue turf they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
Now 'Swyk, now Titus, now Austin and Efaw
On Kellen, on Coach Pete, on Brotzman and Hiwat!
To the Bronco car flag, to the Bronco night-light!
Now punt, now pass, kick, run and score touchdowns all night!

As dry leaves that before the blue hurricane fly,
When Moore meets an obstacle, mount to the sky.
So up to window the players they flew,
With the Kyle Wilson RV, and Byron Hout, too!
And then, in a jiffy, I heard in my room
The hitting and scoring; "Boise State!" I presume!
As I drew in my head, and was shouting with joy,
Coach Pete tapped my shoulder and said; "Hey there my boy!"

He was dressed in a jacket, a cap on his head
"Is that thing surgically attached?"
To him I said.
His mouth smiled, in the Coach Pete kind of way,
And he opened his playbook, ready to call a play.
With a twinkle in his eye, hand on his left knee,
Into his microphone; "Statue of Liberty!"
We ran to the TV, in unison "hurrah!"
Just as Kellen and the rest embarrassed Utah.

"How can you be here and there at the same time?"
I asked with my hands, still short of words like a mime.
"It's part of the magic, the perks of Boise State.
Would you like to try? Call a play, see how you rate."
My life had led up to this, I knew what to do.
And I laughed when I said it; "Give the ball to 'Shoe.'"
The Utes were so focused on Pettis and Young,
Shoemaker was left wide open, the ball was flung.

With not a defender around, the ball flew
Into the arms of Tyler, AKA "Shoe."
The game went on with plenty of Bronco scoring
If I wasn't a fan I'd say it was boring.
I heard Pete yell as the team left and went out of sight,
"Happy Las Vegas Bowl to all, and to all a victorious night!"

No comments:

Post a Comment